Thursday, February 16, 2023

Whole Child Approach

Child outside covered in paint and smiling.
 The "whole-child approach" is a concept that has been gaining popularity in education in recent years. The whole-child approach is focused on nurturing all areas of the children's development. For example, focusing on social, emotional, physical, intellectual, and health development. This approach aims to ensure we are shaping students to be good people and not just 'good test takers.' We want to prepare students for the future like college or jobs, while also making sure their other areas of interest and personality are brought to light. The "whole-child approach" wants to remind educators that learning is not only focused in the classroom, we want to create lifelong learners who seek to explore every day, anywhere! 

I think the "whole-child approach" is a great movement in the right direction in the education world. I believe going beyond the student's math and science learning is vital for making sure our students are actively enjoying learning and want to explore more. I remember growing up I felt there was a huge focus on my academics and grades, but no focus on my interests. It made me feel less motivated to learn because I felt as if the teacher only saw me as a "test-taker" and not a person. I also think focusing on students' social-emotional skills can aid them in learning self-regulation skills which will benefit them in the long run. This new approach is something all educators should be implementing in their classrooms and I hope to see it added to classroom curriculums across the country. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Educational Blogging

 Educational blogging is a way for educators to share their experiences online in the form of writing. They can create a blog to share their...